Monday, December 10, 2012

1977 Batavus? Damn near killed us!

This is the Batavus. I'm gointg to call it a Starflite until someone corrects me. I got this on craigslist and drove 2 hours to get it because I was itching for a project. I'm debating the payoff vs work involved for this one. It's obviously been sitting outside for a long time, and has been painted with a stout, but deteriorating black paint over the original yellow which isn't in great shape either. Chrome is amazingly good considering many aspects and it's mostly complete except the seat, side panels, controls, and maybe some other hard to find miscellaneous crap.
Got it home and this morning I started investigating what I'm going to be in for.
Here's the photo sent to me before my drive. Sure, I'll drive 2 hours to buy that! Notice the mono shock setup.
For some reason the wheels aren't rusty. Holland must know something about chrome.

Ack! This black paint sucks. Texas weather and shitty repaints lead to this. Going to take a lot of paint stripper.

I'd better remember where these crappy wires go.

The guy I bought this from said he unseized it. Hard to tell in this photo but the cylinder looks really good inside. Not expected at all.

Hmm, maybe someone was trying to pry the cylinder off and busted these fins. I'll bet this won't ruin christmas when all is said and done. Look at all the other fins that are still there.

Ah ha! Hammer, flathead screwdriver, and this guy got it un-seized! I will want to clean the slots in the bell and maybe see how bad the discs are after having some nubs busted off.  Where does the clutch cable anchor at?

Another non rusty wheel. Tires hold air too. I'm guessing these old broads are ready for the retirement home / dumpster.

Piston skirt is busted. I'm really tempted to clean it and see this piston has any life left, as it's been lightened for speed now (mini skirt?) and hopefully won't affect the porting. Or not.

Gunky. I think water got in there. Moves but definitely need to disassemble the case halves.

Gross! Should clean up okay though. No cylinder or base gaskets were present.

Another shitty photo of the not so shitty cylinder wall.

Stock paint is pretty tough, paint stripper softened it, but didn't kill it.

Rust on this side, guess I'm going to strip it down completely and repaint.

Petcock unthreaded fine, but the mud in the tank had the filter stuck in there. Here's what that looks like. Surprisingly this tank doesn't leak (yet).

Looks pretty rough, I'll dig around and see if the piston is similar to anything else I have. 

This bike will get more posting when I start removing more bolts. I don't know if there's any good way to restore this and have it be "worth it", so I'll be thinking of parting out the good stuff and keeping odds and ends I might need for other stuff. Maybe this bike wants a Tomos A5 or a variated AV7?

No comments:

Post a Comment